Friday, November 23, 2012

Squirrely Challenge

It has been a while since I participated in my friend, Nancy's, "Squirrely Challenge". This was a simple charge - use Washi tape. If you have read my blog for some time, you know this was right up my alley! It seems as if Washi tape is everywhere - but is it actually Washi Tape?
Washi is a type of paper from Japan, often used in Origami. The tape is made similarly - often from pulpy paper sources. It has a distinctive weight and finish (both the paper and the tape). There are a lot of decorative tapes out now - some are true Washi, while others are tissue or craft tape. The Tim Holtz/Ranger products are tissue tapes. They are made differently, have a different texture and adhesive. The behave differently, particularly with wet media.
All that being said, I used a variety of tapes on this card for the challenge:
The trees and striped tapes are "craft/tissue" tapes and the blue text is actual Washi tape. The "Keep Calm and Merry On" is from a clear set of Darcy's Christmas stamps. Had a bit of a problem as the stamp is not very deeply etched. It will definitely require "surgery"! The embossing folder used on the card is by Stampin' Up. I made my own red and white twine with string and a Sharpie!

3 comments:

nancy y said...

love it - you used all kinds of tape!
it's the perfect little Christmas card. Glad to have you playing again.

Connie Lutz said...

Thanks - bought the Christmas tree tape recently and had to use it!

Jennifer said...

Love your "washi" tapes. I don't have any holiday ones. Great card. Love the sentiment.