It has been a while since Nancy posted a Squirrely Challenge. Instead of a technique, we had a list of requirements to meet. The card needed to be masculine. It also needed to have been made using a tool, an embossing folder and something from your stash.
For my card, I chose a leaf punch for my tool. (technically not new, but then again I haven't bought any new tools in a while!) The wood banner was from my stash, as was all the card stock!
For this tag, I decided to play around with a technique I saw on Claudine Helmuth's blog. I used a Prima stencil and a sponge with acrylic paints to create a background on cheap white tissue paper. By sponging on the paint, you have more control as the amount applied (which impacts bleed through and drying time). After I let it completely dry, I place a tag under the tissue to see where I wanted the design to fall. Once I like the placement, I cut out the tag shape.
A little gel medium on the tag was all it took to adhere the tissue to the tag. In smoothing it out, I did tear a bit of the tissue. So, I decided to add an image:
I stamped the Tim Holtz umbrella man in Archival black. I re-stamped the umbrella portion in Marvy red and cut them all out. I used mounting tape to attach umbrella man to the tag. This will probably end up in an art journal.
After stamping for many years, I always feel inclined to make elaborate cards. Unfortunately, my time is short and I would rather do a little something, rather than nothing at all. I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same. Plus, sometimes clean and simple is kind of a fun a change of pace. The cards below fit the bill - and will most likely be sent to Operation Write Home:
The sentiment is made from letter stickers.
The bottom curly line is a portion of paper tape. Both cards were made from kits from SimonSaysStamp.
I was working through part of a SimonSaysStamp kit - just using items from the kit. For me, it's a good exercise in using imagination. It limits me to what is in front of me - any ideas on other images, embellishments are ignored. I thought this particular card came together nicely. Being a stamper, I tend to use stamped images as my focal. Not with this:
The bird image on the bottom is part of the patterned paper. The large heart was cut from a traced pattern. This card will go into a batch for Operation Write Home. Pull a patterned paper from your stash and give it a try.
My friend, Nancy, gave me this wonderful collection of patterned papers and embellishments from My Mind's Eye(Ruby). The papers colors of reds, pinks, white/cream and gray are very versatile. I decided on a French twist - I think this will make a fun addition to a card!
I spent Friday through Sunday at a Crop. Some Close to my Heart demonstrators sponsor a "Diva Crop" - art space, hotel room and food for one reasonable cost at a local hotel. My main goal was to get some photos scrapped on to pages. Not complete pages, but just onto pages. Scrapping is my least favorite paper arts activity. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of photos that need a home. So, I decided to match up photos with pre-made pages and bring them along. I figure I can go back when I only have a limited amount of time ad title, journal and embellish. It was quite successful:
Photo one is a top view of the 2 12 x 12 packages of layouts and photos. The lower photo is a side view of the completed pages. It took me Friday (started around 4:30pm) and most of Saturday, but they are done to the point I wanted. Then, I dove into some SimonSaysStamp cards kits to play:
I made these rather simply so that I can send them to Operation Write Home. Thus ended a very satisfying weekend (can't wait to do it again!)
I'm slowly, but surely, getting my holiday thank you cards done. After cutting and matting some patterned paper strips, I decided I needed a variation. Using some of the same strips and adding some stamps:
The background stamp is by Hero Arts and has quickly become a favorite!
I wasn't quite ready to put away my holiday patterned paper. So, with a bit of mixing and matching, fun winter card fronts. I cut 5 strips into 3/4 x 3 3/4 (or close to it) and mounted them to a black mat.
I added a snowflake stamp from Stampin' Up and a little "thank you". Some of my Christmas "thank you" cards are complete. And, it all came from my stash!
Tuesday's tag was a throw back to my scenic stamping days (albeit much more simply done). I stamped a Hero Arts chevron/snowflakes background in Versa Mark ink. After it was dry, I added a few colors of blue Distress Inks. The trees and deer came next:
I used white acrylic paint to add some snow to the trees and ground. I flicked a bit more paint on the background. Lastly, I added a Stampin' Up sentiment and baker's twine (that I didn't have to make!) Trees are by Stamper's Anonymous/Tim Holtz and the deer are CTMH (Close to my Heart).
It has been awhile since I did anything creative. The holidays, family, and mom's trust business have taken up my time. I did get a few minutes recently to work on journal pages for a swap. With all the travel over the past months, this is what came to mind:
Now, this is a fairly simple page for me. I did a bit of layering of mists and inks on the background. I stamped a new Unity cloud background to add some interest. Of course, I needed to add a bit of a twist, so I added a heart from Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers...
The house stamp is from Hero Arts -it's one that I have frequently used!