Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thoughts...

I have been art journaling for years. Love the free form and mixed media - especially since it's a great place for me to express my unusual taste in non "mainstream" stuff. Usually, I am a visual journaler - maybe adding a quote or a word or two. I've never been a writer or chronicler of my life.
Since July, I have been traveling to and from So. Ca. to visit my ailing mother. I am of the "sandwich" generation - squeezed between helping/supporting college age children and taking care of my mother. Things have not been going well - a meddling relative helped to convince my mom to go against our wishes, medical advice, and, quite frankly, common sense. So, she is not doing well. I have some decisions to make...
Enter art journaling. I need somewhere to write it out (so as not to continually vent to my friends -  several of whom have been great). Since, I am not one of many words, it is a unique experience. I picked a book called "Picture Frames", which I will alter and use as a journal. I cleared out some pages, glued some together for strength, and gesso-ed the first dozen or so. I think it will be a combination of my usual style and some writing. I thought I would stay with the "frame" idea - adding page or image frames on my pages. My first couple of pages:
I picked 6 spray colors to use as a palette. I like the fact that the pages are visible even after adding the gesso and sprays.
As I will be continuing to fluctuate between No and So California, my posting will be anything but consistent. Plus, I do not want to post only the tough times I am having. So, I hope you pop in occasionally to see what's going on. I'm hoping for a bit mind clearing to help my creative process.

4 comments:

Kelly Kilmer said...

Connie, it's nice to have an outlet to pour any emotion into. Thank you for sharing your art journal here. Art journaling, like life, isn't always pretty. I hope you can find a little relief on the pages. Call, email or text me anytime. Thinking of you...

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great idea. I love the format you've chosen.
Rinda

nancy y said...

I think this book is going to be a great spot for you pour your emotions into as Kelly says. You may have to visit it quiet often in the next few months.
thinking of you...

Jennifer said...

This is a great idea, Connie. I hope it helps you find some peace and release of the thoughts floating around in your head. I think of you often.