Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday's Tip

I was working on some ATC's for a swap, when I remembered this golden oldie tip. I like dimension in my art work, be it cards, ATC's, scrapbook pages. So I will stamp images and cut them out, and then mount them with dimensional adhesive/mounting tape. When an image is cut out, the cut edge is white and can be distracting and visible depending upon the background to which it is attached.
You can see some of the white edge on the image on the right. On the image on the left, I ran a gray marker along the cut edges, including the inner arms. It is a subtle difference, difficult to capture via a photograph.
However, it really makes a cleaner edge when added to the final piece of art (these images were added to ATC's). I strongly recommend a medium gray over black - black is often a little to dark and distracting. Next time you cut out an image to add dimension, give this tip a try!

No comments: